Third International Biochar Conference
Third International Biochar Conference, IBI 2010: Progressing from Terra Preta de Indios to the whole world
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
September 12 - 15 2010
IBI and EMBRAPA will host the 3rd International Biochar Conference: IBI 2010, to be held in Rio de Janeiro, September 12 – 15, 2010. The conference will run over the course of four days and include both oral and poster presentations, networking opportunities, side meetings, discussion groups, display booths, and a field trip opportunity to see the famous Terra Preta sites in the Amazon (September 16 – 18, 2010). The IBI 2010 conference will feature international speakers covering all aspects of biochar including production and utilization systems, field trials, commercial and user experience, policy, education, new research, Terra Preta, and future trends. Conference delegates will include the leading visionaries in the biochar world, policy makers, producers, farmers and gardeners, academics, investors, development agents, and many others.
Session topics will include:
- Biochar production and new products. Biomass sources, residues and co-products recycling. Management of emissions, wastes, and byproducts from biochar production.
- Integrated biochar systems. Design and evaluation of small and large scale systems.
- Characterization of fresh and aged biochars. Physico-chemical characterization of structural recalcitrance and functionalities. IBI’s biochar characterization effort.
- Biochar quantification in the environment.
- Biochar amendments to soils. Agronomic evaluations and effects on soil carbon dynamics.
- Terra Preta de índios: state of the art.
- Climate change mitigation value and potential.
- Sustainability, certification and legislation.
- Commercializing biochar and large scale dissemination – economic, commercial, and industrial issues.
- Emissions trading and climate change policy.