The Katoomba Group has developed materials to provide guidance and inspiration to trainers designing programs related to ecosystem services. We recognize that trainers will need to tailor messages for specific national and regional contexts as well as particular audiences and hope that the tools offered below will support the creation of effective PES training materials.
These tools consist of:
- Illustrative articles and publications on ecosystem markets and payments according to audience, level of expertise, and type of service, which have been compiled in a PES Training Resource Matrix.
- Course Materials have been developed for adaptation by other PES trainers around the following 4 topics.
- Climate Change, Markets, and Services, reviews the basics of global warming, carbon markets, Payments Ecosystem for Services, Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation, market mechanisms for conservation, and key players.
- Introduction to REDD and PES, introduces the concepts of PES and REDD+, the role of project design and development, what REDD means to developed and developing nations.
- Political, Legal, and Institutional Issues Associated with REDD reviews international law on REDD, regulatory issues, project governance, benefit sharing, fund management, purchase agreement negotiation and drafting.
Marine and Coastal Ecosystem Services
For more information please contact Tommie Herbert, Program Associate, The Katoomba Group at therbert[at]forest-trends.org.
provides an introduction to payments schemes in marine environments.